March 26, 2015

Review: Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover

Publish Date: December 19th, 2012
Publisher: Atria Books
Rating: 4 / 5

I own a physical copy.

Blurb:
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies...

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.



*This review is based on my previous thoughts and recent re-read*

Thoughts

Although I've read Hopeless before, it still kills me inside. The subject matter is very dark and devastating and, trust me, you'll cry. You'll cry because of how your heart hurts for Hope, you'll cry for the beautiful teen romance between Sky and Holder, and you'll cry for the loss of Lesslie.


What I Enjoyed

Them feels, though. You know a book is good when you giggle, sigh, and cry-- Hopeless made me do all of that. I giddy-giggled at the sarcastic banter between Sky and Holder. I sighed because of Holder's huge heart, the meaning behind his Hopeless tattoo, and because of all the loss in his life. I cried over almost everything.

The plot twist/big reveal. Goodness, it shredded my heart. I absolutely hated what happened to Hope. Both things. (I can't say without revealing too much) At least one of the things worked out for the best.

The romance between Sky and Holder. CoHo has a wonderful knack for describing teenage romances: the newness, the giddiness, the fun, the belief in a forever with one another. Lol. Sigh, I'm definitely reminded of my teenage "loves" while reading her books.


What Could Have Been Better

Sky could be borderline annoying. I tried sympathizing with her and looking through her eyes with the knowledge of her history. Nope. Still annoying. Asking your best friend to text message from abroad to remind you how 'beautiful and amazing you are' only to never read them because you actually think the text messages are annoying. Like, what?? Letting boys "feel you up" while you feel nothing and then dumping them. I just don't understand that. Why even let it get that far?


Memorable Quote


“I live you, Sky," he says against my lips. "I live you so much.”

Live = the feeling when you more than like, but not quite love someone.



Recommended For


Colleen Hoover fans, young adult readers, contemporary romance lovers.


4 asterisks


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment