March 22, 2015

Review: Insanity (Asylum #1) by Lauren Hammond

Publish Date: May 8th, 2012
Publisher: SB Addison Books
Rating: 3 / 5
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Downloaded the Kindle version for free off the Amazon website.

Blurb:
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite.

Adelaide’s mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.

Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.

And they had a plan.

They were going to run away.

Be together forever.

And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.

Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure...

She wants out.

And after Damien follows her there to aid her in escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.

And it doesn’t take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes...

That one true love never dies.

Warning: Do not read if you have a weak heart.


First Thoughts

Insanity was unlike anything I've ever read before. I usually shy away from creepy suspense books because I'm honestly not trying have any nightmares when I lay down for bed. That being said-- I picked up Insanity on Amazon for free because of the gorgeous cover and I'm happy I did because I quite liked the book! The story was gripping, the romance filled me with sorrow, and I thought I had the plot twist figured out when another one hit me smack dab in the face! I'm definitely interested in seeing where the rest of this series goes!


What I Enjoyed

The chapters from the past were quite heartbreaking. It pained me to read of the abuse Addy suffered at the hands of her father. Although I took solace in her budding romance with Damien, there was an ominous feel to the book that made it clear Addy and Damien weren't going to have their happily ever after.

The mystery. Adelaide constantly questions herself in Insanity-- she isn't really crazy, right? Or is she? I honestly couldn't quite tell. There were times where it seemed she was completely lucid and sharp, but when she saw Damien as an orderly at the insane asylum, I began questioning her.

The real plot twist. Let's just say, 99% of people reading this story will guess the plot twist. Don't be fooled. There is another one you will never see coming. Or maybe you will, but I certainly didn't.


What Could Have Been Better

The editing.
"You watch you're tone and mind my authority, Adelaide, or--"
Yikes. While the mistakes were few and far between, it still took away from the flow of the writing and story whenever I caught them.



Memorable Quote

I. Am. Not. Crazy. That's just ludicrous. Ridiculous.
Honestly, guys, I believed her until I didn't any more. I don't know what to believe! Read it for yourself and tell me what you think!


Recommended For

Readers of the suspense, mystery, and thriller genres, those who enjoy stories of love that is doomed from the start, or readers who enjoy a mind-blowing plot twist.


3 asterisks


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment