April 5, 2015

Review: Breaking Nova (Nova #1) by Jessica Sorensen

Publish Date: September 3rd, 2013
Publisher: Forever
Rating: 4 / 5
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

I purchased a copy from Amazon.

Blurb:
Nova Reed used to have dreams-of becoming a famous drummer, of marrying her true love. But all of that was taken away in an instant. Now she's getting by as best she can, though sometimes that means doing things the old Nova would never do. Things that are slowly eating away at her spirit. Every day blends into the next . . . until she meets Quinton Carter. His intense, honey brown eyes instantly draw her in, and he looks just about as broken as she feels inside.

Quinton once got a second chance at life-but he doesn't want it. The tattoos on his chest are a constant reminder of what he's done, what he's lost. He's sworn to never allow happiness into his life . . . but then beautiful, sweet Nova makes him smile. He knows he's too damaged to get close to her, yet she's the only one who can make him feel alive again. Quinton will have to decide: does he deserve to start over? Or should he pay for his past forever?



First Thoughts

This was actually a re-read for me. I originally read Breaking Nova some time ago, and geeze, you might as well have called it Breaking Pearl. I'm not even joking. It broke me.

I just felt empty inside after reading it. I tried picking up other books to take my mind off Nova and Quinton (especially poor Quinton), but I couldn't. The story stayed with me and I just couldn't read anything else for months. Nothing could compare. 


Finally, when I could read again, I debated continuing the series, but I couldn't bring myself to. I was terrified of feeling that same sadness for these characters. Breaking Nova is definitely a story that sticks with you for life.


What I Enjoyed

All the feels. Breaking Nova starts on a super depressing note. The things that have happened to Quinton and Nova are heartbreaking. The way they handled their grief was upsetting, but very realistic. When they started to look to each other for company and love, I rooted hard for them! All the smiles and the cute dialogue, sighh, my heart.

The epilogue. One word-- chills. It seems like things are only going to get ten thousand times worse before they start to get better.


Memorable Quote

I’m pretty certain my worthless heart shatters inside my chest, and she steals one of the pieces. If it didn’t already belong to someone else I probably would have handed her all the pieces right then and there.


Recommended For

New adult readers, for sure. If you can't stomach stories about death and drug abuse, this isn't the book for you.



4 asterisks

No comments:

Post a Comment